It's time we become dedicated to an environmental advocacy. Let's do what we can in our own simple way to save our poor little country. If we always say we love the Philippines, then we must prove it!
Have you participated in earthquake drills? Do you know what to do and where to go during an actual earthquake?
Please forget everything about hiding under a table or standing in a doorway during an earthquake. The following information you are about to read will surely be a real eye-opener. It can save lives.
This is an extract from an article entitled THE TRIANGLE OF LIFE written by Mr. Doug Copp, Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the American Rescue Team International (ARTI):
"My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the American Rescue Team International (ARTI ), the world's most experienced rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake.
I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a member of many rescue teams from many countries. I was the United Nations (UN) expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years, and have worked at every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous disasters.
The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake. Every child was under its desk. Every child was crushed to the thickness of their bones. They could have survived by lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene -- unnecessary.
Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a space or void next to them -- NOT under them. This space is what I call the 'triangle of life'. The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. The less the object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured. The next time you watch collapsed buildings on television, count the formed 'triangles' you see. They are everywhere. It is the most common shape you will see in a collapsed building.
Reminders for earthquake safety:
1) Mostly everyone who simply 'ducks and covers' when buildings collapse are crushed to death. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are crushed.
2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal position. You should too, in an earthquake. It is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a smaller void. Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a bed, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave a void next to it.
3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake. If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created. Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.
4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels can achieve a much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on the back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.
5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by getting out the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to a sofa, or large chair.
6) Mostly everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse are killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the door jamb falls forward or backward, you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jamb falls sideways, you will be cut in half by the doorway. In either case, you will be killed!
7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different 'moment of frequency' (they swing separately from the main part of the building). The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each other until structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads -- horribly mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety, even when the rest of the building is not damaged.
8) Get near the outer walls of buildings or outside of them if possible. It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be blocked.
9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles; which is exactly what happened with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway. The victims of the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were all killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and sitting or lying next to their vehicles. Everyone killed would have survived if they had been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had columns fall directly across them.
10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices and other offices with a lot of paper, that paper does not compact. Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.
Spread the word and save someone's life. The entire world is experiencing natural calamities so be prepared.
In 1996 we made a film, which proved my survival methodology to be correct. The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul, University of Istanbul Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical, scientific test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins inside. Ten mannequins did 'duck and cover,' and ten mannequins I used in my 'triangle of life' survival method. After the simulated earthquake collapse we crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film and document the results. The film, in which I practiced my survival techniques under directly observable, scientific conditions , relevant to building collapse, showed there would have been zero percent survival for those doing duck and cover.
There would likely have been 100 percent survivability for people using my method of the triangle of life. This film has been seen by millions of viewers on television in Turkey and the rest of Europe, and it was seen in the USA , Canada and Latin America on the TV program Real TV."
(Don't forget to share this with everyone. We'll never know when a natural disaster might hit us.)
A solar storm is hitting the earth. It may affect communication lines, signals, power grids and satellites.
What is a solar storm and how will it affect the earth and its people? (see video)
What happens to the sun during solar storms? Watch the video below.
Do you understand why some websites are blacking out?
What is Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA)? Why would these US bills affect us all and not just Americans? Watch the video below and find out.
Be informed. Learn why. Spread the knowledge. Make a difference. Save the world. NOW!
It's the year of the dragon! Click the funny image below for the safest way of welcoming the new year with a complete set of fingers, toes, and other body parts! HAPPY NEW YEAR 2012!!!
There are others who think that today, December 30, is Dr. Jose Rizal's birthday. What a shame. They don't know the simplest fact about the most important part of our history -- our national hero.
Click Rizal's portrait below to discover more trivia as we celebrate the 115th anniversary of his martyrdom and execution today.
Twenty-five. The silver age of our lives. The ultimate time of so much pressure. It's like being in between "young" and "old" as far as maturity is concerned. For those in their mid-20s, ask yourself this: What have I done and achieved in my life?
Click the image below to learn more about the wisdom that a 25-year old needs.
Saudization? I don't think so. Ask someone who lives or had experienced living in Saudi Arabia and you will know what it would be like without Pinoys.
Read the article below. Feel your worth as a Filipino. Every word adds self-esteem and it dissolves all the negative energy from the political situation in the Philippines.
Honestly, it made me thank God that He created me as a Filipino and not some other nationality. I tried imagining a world without Pinoys -- I can't!
After taking mugshots of the arrested ex-president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo during the weekend and insisting that they will not and should not be released in public, here it is! Leaked in newspapers and websites!
So, what can you say? Authentic or not?
Another day has come for the attempt of the Arroyos to leave the country. I have one more thing to share to open the minds of people.
As the video says, this is Dong Abay -- the poet, rockstar, songwriter, vocalist and independent artist -- declaiming excerpts from the article of Conrado de Quiros in the Philippine Daily Inquirer entitled "Dumating na ang araw n'yo" (read the article here).
Although the article was published last August and the video was uploaded in September, the insights are just in time for everything that has happened these past few days. I suggest you read the entire article first then watch the video for a more dramatic feel.
The author's name is always misspelled and mispronounced. But you can call her Maryowni.
FIND ME HERE
** Cheers to LOVE.LIFE!
** all time fangirl
** Charlie, get your vogue on
** Think About It.
** Paulo Coelho's Blog
** The Professional Heckler
** Strange Fruit
** The Oatmeal
** Hot 10
** nicknamed cheenee
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.